A gas explosion and fire Tuesday destroyed a house at 1104 11th St., Carrollton. Three family members home at the time escaped without injuries. (Staff photo by Ken Ritchie/kritchie@madisoncourier.com)
A gas explosion and fire Tuesday destroyed a house at 1104 11th St., Carrollton. Three family members home at the time escaped without injuries. (Staff photo by Ken Ritchie/kritchie@madisoncourier.com)
A Carrollton house exploded and caught fire Tuesday afternoon after gas built up in the basement.

Emergency crews responded to the report of an explosion and structure fire at the home of William Travis Noble in the 1100 block of 11th Street around 2 p.m.

Crews found the house engulfed with a portion of the structure already on the ground when they arrived on the scene, a Carrollton Police Department release said.

Three people were at the residence at the time of the explosion and fire, including Noble, his young son and Noble's mother, Wanda Noble.

William Noble told fire crews he was in the living room with his son napping when he heard an explosion, and the roof fell in on them. Wanda Noble was sitting on the front porch of the home.

All three were able to escape the explosion and fire without injuries after being assisted by neighbors and witnesses.

The Carrollton Fire Department battled the blaze for several hours with assistance from the Ghent Fire Department.

Carrollton Fire Chief Mike Terrell and Carrollton Utilities personnel said the explosion and fire was caused by a gas buildup in the basement which ignited and caused an explosion.

Fire crews were assisted by the Carrollton Police Department, Carroll County Sheriff's Office, Kentucky State Police, Carroll County EMS, Carroll County Rescue and the state fire marshal's office.