Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Hanover drops house demolition order
, Courier Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:00 AM
Recent improvements to a Hanover home gave town officials reason to reverse a decision made last year to declare the structure unsafe.
The Hanover Town Council ruled the home at 143 E. Main St., safe after the property's owner, Ryan Leach, began to repair the structure after he purchased it.
Council President Debbie Kroger said Leach worked on the structure's foundation and tore down a back area of the home that was falling in.
Leach told council members during the meeting Tuesday night that he plans to remodel the home and will begin to renovate the exterior as soon as the weather warms up.
He said he hopes to live in the home after the renovations are complete.
"I don't think it was that unsafe in the first place," he said.
Leach expects renovations to be completed within the year.
Council members unanimously voted to remove the demolition order issued late last year.
Also during the meeting, Town Attorney Josh Stigdon said funding through Indiana's Hardest Hit Fund will be available to municipalities for the demolition of blighted or abandoned homes through the Blight Elimination Program.
Nearly $75 million has been earmarked for the program.
The state has been divided into several funding divisions, the program's website said. The first funding division application period began this month.
Kroger said the town would be interested in applying for some of the funding.
"We definitely want to pursue that," she said.
In other business:
Town administrator Brenda Bundy told council members income surveys will be sent to town residents on Thursday as part of an information gathering process for a sewer grant to replace slip lining throughout Hanover. The grant, which is worth $800,000, would allow the town to extend sewer lines and replace other lines identified as needing work during a smoke test last year.
The grant would require a 25 percent match from the town, so $200,000 would need to be set aside for the project. The town would receive $600,000 for the project.
"The town of Hanover has been very fortunate in getting grants," Kroger said. "It's really important that everyone fill (the surveys) out."
The grant program requires a current estimate of income for the town to be considered eligible for the grant.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved