Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Fire destroys Dupont house
House was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived
Byline info is not available
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:00 AM
HOUSE DESTROYED: A wood stove was believed to be the cause of a house fire at 10589 NW Front St. in Dupont on Tuesday. Fire crews from Madison Township and Dupont worked for several hours to extinguish the blaze. (Staff photo by Seth Grundhoeferfirstname.lastname@example.org)
Fire crews spent several hours Tuesday extinguishing a blaze that destroyed a home in Dupont.
A female resident at 10589 NW Front St. returned home to discover the fire about 9 a.m. She escaped unharmed, but fire crews believe the family's two dogs were killed in the blaze.
When Dupont and Madison Township fire companies arrived on scene to the two-story home, Dupont Fire Chief Ed Meek said the fire already had been burning for quite some time. Smoke from the flames could be seen well past the town limits.
"The way I understand it, it probably had a two-and-half hour head start on us," Meek said. "And that's why there was so much structural damage."
By Tuesday afternoon, most of the roof had collapsed and fire crews could still not enter the structure, but the flames had been put out.
The home's owner, Denver Graves, told Meek that there was a fire in a stove pipe earlier that morning around 5:30 a.m. that was thought to have been put out. The house's occupant, Teresa Matthews, returned to the home hours later to find that the fire had rekindled and was fully engulfed, Meek said.
Tom Boggs, who lives nearby, said he saw the flames and thick smoke rolling above the neighborhood. He rushed to the house before fire units arrived and opened the front door only to find that the structure was too dangerous to enter.
Boggs said he heard what sounded like gunshot rounds being set off in the fire. The fire crews and the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department later confirmed that ammunition was inside the house and, in fact, did ignite.
"We heard that, and I backed off," Boggs said.
At that time, another neighbor advised one of the residents to stay out of the house.
"It was rolling pretty good," he said. "And it was too bad for anybody to be going in."
PHOTOS: Fire destroys Dupont house
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
© 2016 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved