Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - April 28, 2014
Courier Sports Staff
Monday, April 28, 2014 11:00 AM
- Shawe's girls junior high tennis team defeated Southwestern 5-0 on Thursday at home.
Match results were: Singles - No. 1 Megan Hesse (SM) d. Anna Gray (SW) 8-0; No. 2 Katrina Gobert (SM) d. Maryland Palmer (SW) 8-1; No. 3 Kate Grote (SM) d. Delaney Phillips (SW) 8-0; Doubles - No. 1 Bailey Brandon and Cayden Hambrick (SM) d. Juli Lezama and Kenzie Morris (SW) 8-0; No. 2 Kelly Hesse and Lydia Goebel (SM) d. Shahala Brown and Nicole Jackson (SW) 8-1.
Shawe is now 2-1 on the season.
- Former Carroll County golf standout and Cumberland University sophomore Quincy Hogan was named a Mid-Southern Conference Scholar-Athlete this week.
Hogan, a sophomore and 2012 Carroll graduate, carries a 3.89 grade point average as a Child Growth and Learning major.
Hogan was just one of 18 women to receive the award.
- The River Roots Festival will hold its Kill The Hill Run/Walk on Saturday, May 17 at the Heritage Trail in Madison.
Registration prior to May 9 costs $10 while same-day registration is 7 a.m. to 7:45 and costs $15. The race begins at 8 a.m.
All participants registered by May 9 will receive a T-shirt.
- Shawe's jayvee girls tennis team defeated New Washington 2-1 on Wednesday afternoon in Madison.
Match results were: Singles - Mackenzie Ott (SM) d. Amy Hurt (NW) 4-0; Ott (SM) d. Kelsey Bottorf (NW) 4-1; Doubles - Macie McCarty and Natalie Harrod (NW) d. Megan Whitham and McKay Burdette (SM) 8-4.
- Southwestern's jayvee tennis team played to a 1-1 split with Borden on Wednesday in Hanover.
Borden's Katie Kruer defeated Southwestern's Carol Osborn 8-3 in number one singles action while the Rebels' number one doubles team of Kelsey Jones and Elizabeth Scianni defeated Laura Huerta and Lindsey Kruer 8-2.
- The Madison Men's Softball league will have an organizational meeting on Tuesday, April 29 at the Broadway Hotel and Tavern on the patio.
The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. Anyone interested in entering a team in the league should have a representative at the meeting. Entry fee per team is $600.
For more information contact Scott Davidson at (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Southwestern Athletic Department in conjuction with AWA Supreme Wrestling in Madison will host a night of pro wrestling on Friday, May 23 at the high school.
Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and the event will begin at 7:30. Tickets are $7 and concessions will be available.
WWE, NWA and WCW legend Ricky Morton will be wrestling on the card along with Southwestern athletic director Tom Scroggins who will be teaming with a mystery parter to take on AWA Supreme Tag Team champions Morty's Millionares.
The event will take place in the high school gym.
- Jefferson County Tennis Association has started its annual spring membership drive.
Registration forms have been mailed to known tennis players. Forms are also available at the website www.jeffersoncountytennis.4t.com or at the info boxes located at area tennis courts.
The association offers leagues for women and men of all skill levels, including up and down doubles in the fall. Junior players 16 and older are also welcome.
For more info, call Ken Ward at (812) 599-5726 or Chris Prime at (812) 528-7888.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved