Courierarea Sports Shorts - April 3, 2014
Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:00 AM
- Former Carroll County golf standout Quincy Hogan has had a strong past couple of weeks for the Cumberland University golf team.
Hogan, a sophomore, finished tied for 26th at the Blue Raider Classic/Mid-South Conference Spring Invitational at the Lake Cumberland Golf and Country Club in Jamestown, KY after shooting a 91 on Monday and a 104 on Tuesday for a two-day total of 195.
As a team, Cumberland shot a 674 and won the event.
Last week, Hogan finished 14th after shooting an 85 in the final round to lead Cumberland at the Tennessee Wesleyan Spring Invitational at Springbrook Golf and Country Club in Niota, Tenn.
- Hanover's Luke Karnick has been named the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Lacrosse Player of the Week.
Karnick, a junior midfielder from Indianapolis, led the Panthers offense in a narrow 8-7 loss to Benedictine. The junior scored three goals with three ground balls and one caused turnover in the loss to Benedictine.
- Madison Consolidated High School football has scheduled a player-parent meeting today for students planning to play football next fall.
The meeting, scheduled for 7 p.m. today in the MCHS cafeteria, is for current eighth graders through 11th graders who plan to play for coach Patric Morrison's Cubs.
Items being discussed will be the program's summer calendar, fundraising, player expectations and gathering sizes for player packs. This is an important meeting and anyone who is unable to attend should contact Morrison by e-mail at email@example.com or phone at (812) 701-2648.
- The Madison Consolidated High School girls golf team will hold an informational meeting on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Any girl in grades 8-11 who is interested in playing golf is encouraged to attend the meeting at the Madison high school cafeteria.
- Shawe Memorial Junior-Senior High School is looking to fill a vacancy for varsity head volleyball coach for the 2014 season.
Anyone interested is asked to submit a resume and cover letter to the Shawe athletic office by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to (812) 273-6694.
Resumes and letters can also be mailed to Shawe Memorial High School, 201 W. State St., Madison, IN 47250. For more information, call the athletic office at (812) 273-2150 ext. 229.
- The Madison Parks Department is currently accepting applications for summer baseball and softball.
Application deadlines are April 4 for ages seven through 12 and May 16 for ages 13 and 15. A player's age as of May 1 will determine what league he or she plays in.
Participation fee is $50. Applications are available at the Madison Parks Department's office located in the Brown Gym on Broadway Street. Applications can also be found online at www.madisonparks.com and at area schools and businesses.
For more information call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge is conducting a special two-day youth turkey hunt event on April 19-20.
The event will select 105 youth by drawing to attend a luncheon and workshop on April 19 from noon to 2 p.m. and participate in a one-day hunt on April 20. The youth must have a responsible adult as a guide but the youth will be the only one allowed to hunt.
To apply for the draw, send a post card with the youth's name and address to Big Oaks NWR, 1661 W JPG Niblo Rd., Madison, IN 47250.
- The Madison-Jefferson County Animal Shelter will hold its third annual 5K Spring Sprint Walk/Run on April 5.
Registration begins at 6:30 a.m. with the race starting at 8 a.m. Early registration is now closed and the fee is $25. Funds collected will go towards the construction of a new shelter building.
An 18-mile bike ride hosted by the Madison Area Bicycle Club will also be held.
Registrations forms are available on our Facebook page or at the shelter.
Checks are payable to the Jefferson County Animal Shelter Building Fund.
This year the walk/run will allow leashed dogs to join the walkers and runners. Dogs must be current on rabies vaccinations and know how to behave around others.
Registration forms are available at the shelter or on the Madison Animal Shelter Facebook page. Forms and payment can be taken to the shelter or mailed to 2727 Hannah Drive, Madison, IN 47250.
- The Outdoor Women at Big Oaks event will be held on Saturday, June 7 from 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
The one-day event is designed for women to gain valuable outdoor skills and knowledge in an environment that encourages fun and success in the outdoors.
The event will take place at the Historic Old Timbers Lodge at the Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge. Registration forms are available at www.bigoaks.org or call (812) 273-0783.