Courierarea Sports Shorts - August 20, 2014
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:00 AM
- Recently graduated Madison senior Clark Vaughn has been named to the Indiana High School Baseball Coaches Association Academic All-State team.
Vaughn, who will attend Princeton University, also made the Academic All-State team in tennis. He was also named first team all-Hoosier Hills Conference and was named the team's offensive player of the year after leading the team batting average, hits, doubles and home runs. He also shared the pitcher of the year award with sophomore Carson Compton.
Other award winners for Madison included: Tanner Sauley and Xavier Barnes, co-defensive player of the year honors; Sauley, all-HHC honorable mention; Tyler Manaugh, coaches award; and John McCarty and Alex Risk, most improved.
The Cubs finished the season with an 11-15 record including a Madison Courier Invitational championship and a fourth place finish in the HHC. The Cubs will have to replace seven seniors who had a tremendous impact on the program.
- Southwestern Middle School's volleyball teams split with South Ripley on Monday.
The seventh grade lost 25-23, 25-15. Karli Youngs was 5-for-7 serving. Nellie Arnold was 5-for-7 serving.
The eighth grade won 25-11, 25-18. Abby Ralston was 17-for-18 serving with two assists, Kassie Worcester was 11-for-13 serving, Ashlyn Cloud was 6-for-9 serving with a kill and Kiah Means was 8-for-9 serving with two kills.
- Madison's jayvee boys tennis team split a pair of doubles matches with Christian Academy on Monday in its season opener.
Kenny Higbie and Jakob Jones won 8-2 while Clay Vaughn and Conner Richmond lost 8-5.
Madison travels to Lawrenceburg on Thursday.
- Southwestern's junior varsity volleyball team opened the 2014 season with a 25-14, 25-4 loss at South Dearborn on Monday.
Prezley Hartman had two aces and two assists for the Rebels while Stephanie Eaglin had three kills.
Southwestern, now 0-1, hosts Clarksville on Wednesday.
- Switzerland County's jayvee girls soccer team opened the 2014 season with a 4-0 loss at Lawrenceburg on Monday.
The Pacers were out-shot 19-0 in the game. Hailee Hinthorne had two goals and an assist for Lawrenceburg.
Switzerland, now 0-1, hosts Southwestern Aug. 27.
- Madison's jayvee girls soccer team defeated Scottsburg 6-2 on Monday in its season opener.
Riley Boone recorded a hat trick with three goals to lead Madison. Hope Storie had two goals and two assists and Taylor Strouse and Cat Fisher each had assists. Annie Marsh stopped 19 shots in goal.
Madison is now 1-0 on the season.
- The Madison Parks Department is currently holding signups in grades kindergarten through sixth for cheerleading. The fee is $50.
A special sign-up and mini-camp is planned for this Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Rucker Sports Complex. Anyone interested in having their child involved in the cheerleading program is invited to the sign-up/mini-camp Thursday.
For more info, call Brandi at (812) 599-7533 or Scott at (812) 493-9840.
- The Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club is taking applications for its Fall Ball Basketball League.
The league is open to boys and girls ages four through six grade. The season runs from Sept. 8 through Oct. 16.