Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - January 29, 2014
Courier Sports Staff
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:00 AM
- Switzerland County's jayvee girls basketball team defeated Rising Sun 40-22 Tuesday in Vevay.
Taylor Jordan led the Pacers with 10 points. Courtney Pedraza and Hope Tankersley score eight points each while Mallory Phagan and Whitney Schirmer scored six and four, respectively.
- Shawe's jayvee girls basketball team defeated Jac-Cen-Del 30-15 on Tuesday in Osgood.
The Hilltoppers led 17-6 after the first quarter and both teams were scoreless in the second quarter. Shawe led 19-10 after the third period and used an 11-5 run in the fourth to win by 15.
Jenna Armstrong led Shawe with 11 points. Claire Higgins added seven while Megg Hensler and Sarelia Rios-Garcia scored four each.
- Shawe's Brad Koehler has been named an Ohio River Valley Conference boys basketball player of the week.
Koehler, a sophomore, shared the honors with Milan's Logan Karsteter. The Hilltopper forward scored 20 points and grabbed six rebounds in a loss to Jac-Cen-Del Friday.
South Ripley's Elizabeth Bodenberg was named ORVC Girls Basketball Player of the Week.
- Madison Cub baseball will host its annual youth camp starting Sunday.
The camp costs $40 and is available for grades three through eight. Registration is at noon in the Cub Hall of Fame at Connor K. Salm Gymnasium. The camp will last from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 2, 9, 16 and 23.
For more info, contact coach Shannon Barger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 2014 Knights of Columbus free throw contest has been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 8, at Shawe Memorial High School.
Open to boys and girls ages 10 to 14 as of Jan. 1, doors will open at 8:30 a.m. with the competition starting at 9 a.m. and the event is free.
For more info, call Pat Berry at (812) 273-6607.
- The Milers of Ohio River Valley (M.O.V.E.) Running Club will meet today at the North United Methodist Church at 5:30 p.m.
The meeting will be used to discuss plans for a training team to prepare for a spring mini-marathon. Any interested runner/walker is welcome.
For more info call (812) 701-2579, email email@example.com or visit www.moverunningclub.com.
- The Switzerland County girls basketball program will hold a "Pink Out" night Thursday at South Ripley.
The team will be selling T-shirts for the occasion and $5 from each shirt will be donated to KDH's Norton Cancer Center.
Order forms are available from any Switzerland player or coach or at the school.
- The Madison-Shawe boys basketball matchup at Connor K. Salm Gymnasium on Feb. 8 will serve as a "Red Out" game to raise awareness about heart disease and stroke.
Students and fans are encouraged to participate by wearing red "GET FIRED UP" T-shirts, available for a $10 donation to the American Heart Association. The shirts will be available at the high school throughout Heart Week leading up to the game and at the game.
All money raised by the "RED OUT" will support the American Heart Association's mission of building healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke in Jefferson County.
- Applications for the Lide White Boys & Girls Club's Little League Wrestling are currently available for all boys and girls four years of age through fifth grade.
Athletes who are currently participating on a middle or junior high school team are not eligible.
Applications are due Feb. 21 and the cost is $30 for Lide White Club members (includes a T-shirt) and $40 for non-members (includes a limited membership and T-shirt). A $10 late fee will be added after Feb. 21. Wrestling begins March 3 and runs through April 24.
For more info call the Club at (812) 265-5811 or visit the website at www.lidewhite.com.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved