Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - July 16, 2014
Courier Sports Staff
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:00 AM
- Former Madison Cub and current Western Kentucky Hilltopper baseball pitcher Ryan Thurston had a rough start for the Champion City Kings on Saturday.
Thurston went 3 2-3 innings, gave up nine hits and six runs in taking the loss. He also walked one and struck out five in the 6-2 loss.
- Shawe Memorial Junior/Senior High School is looking for a junior high soccer coach for the 2014-2015 season. Anyone interested in the position should call the Shawe Athletic Department at (812) 273-2150 Ext. 229.
- The Madison Lady Cubs soccer team has resumed its summer conditioning program.
Any girl who will be attending Madison High School this fall who would like to be a part of the girls' soccer team is "strongly encouraged" to attend these sessions.
Parents are invited to stop by and meet the new head coach, Kevin Largent. Parents of girls who want to participate on the team but cannot attend the first session, are requested to make contact with coach Largent before that date. A more informative parent meeting will be held after school begins.
The conditioning program will go Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the MCHS soccer fields from 5-6:30 p.m. Girls should wear comfortable workout clothing and bring water. Soccer boots and shin guards are mandatory.
Information regarding the conditioning program will be available on the MCHS Athletics website under "Girls' Soccer," and on Facebook. Both sites should be up and running by Wednesday. You can also contact coach Largent at (812) 599-7831.
- Hanover College's cross country program will host a summer racing series for area athletes of all ages. The Hanover College Triple Crown will be held during three consecutive Wednesdays in July.
The three-race series is designed to test fitness and sharpen summer training. Each week, the course distance will increase one kilometer. A four-kilometer race (4K) will be held today and the triple crown will conclude July 23 with a five-kilometer event (5K).
All three races will be held on Hanover's renowned course, which served as site for the 2013 NCAA III national championships. The course also hosted NCAA national championships in 2003 and 2008, in addition to numerous regional and conference championships.
Hanover's Triple Crown costs $5 dollars per race. Registration will be at the course prior to each race, beginning at 6:15 p.m. Athletes who pre-register for all three will receive a one of kind T-shirt after completing the final race.
Information is available at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps or contact Hanover head coach Josh Payne at (812) 866-7383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Madison football program will hold a youth camp Monday through July 23.
The camp is for local youth in grades first through sixth and will run 6:30-8 p.m. daily. Each session is located at the Madison High School football practice field.
Cost of camp is $25 and includes a camp T-shirt. Registration forms are due by June 27, however, walk-up registrations will be taken the first day of camp.
For more info, contact Madison head coach Patric Morrison at email@example.com or (812) 701-2648.
- A cheer camp will be held at Carroll County High School July 28-Aug. 1.
The camp, for ages four through 8th grade, will meet 5-7 p.m. daily. The cost is $25 per camper and $10 for each additional sibling. Registration is due by July 25 with those completing sign-up by then guaranteed a T-shirt.
A camp showcase will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 1 with a $1 admission to the performance.
For more info, contact Shelly Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 525-0525.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer has resumed summer practice and conditioning from 6-8 p.m. at the Southwestern High School Soccer field.
Practice is open to all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders interested in playing in the upcoming 2014 season. Practices will run throughout the summer on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the same time.
In addition, the first official soccer practice for the upcoming season will be held on Monday, Aug. 4. from 5:30-7:30 p.m. For more information, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting applications for its fall flag and tackle football leagues.
Junior flag football will be available for ages four and five while regular flag league is for boys in grades kindergarten through second and girls in grades kindergarten through third.
Tackle football is for grades two through four and five through six. However, only second graders whose birthday is on or before Aug. 1 will be accepted.
Cost to play is $50 with an extra $20 charge if the application is turned in late. Applications can be found at local schools or at the park's office at Brown Gym.
Applications can be taken to the gym or mailed to the Madison Parks Department, 101 West Main Street, Madison, IN 47250.
For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- Hanover College's tennis program will host advanced singles and doubles strategy camps in August. The Hanover Match Play and Strategy Camps are designed for serious tournament players who are interested in competing at the collegiate level.
The camps, directed by Hanover's newly appointed head coach Ryan Miller, will feature intense drilling sessions, singles and doubles match play and a question-and-answer session addressing the transition between high school and college tennis.
The boys' camp will be hosted Saturday, Aug. 2, just prior to the start of IHSAA official team practices. The girls' camp will be held Saturday, Aug. 16. Camps will last from approximately 10 a.m.-6 p.m. with a break for lunch and tours of the Hanover campus.
The cost for the one-day camp will be $60, which includes instruction, match play and lunch. All athletes must complete a medical waiver prior to the start of camp. The form is available at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps.
For more information, contact Miller at email@example.com or (812) 866-7191.
- The Lide White Boys & Girls Club will hold its 30th Annual Chelsea Bass Masters Fishing Tournament on Saturday, Aug. 2 starting at 7 a.m.
This year's event will again be held on the Ohio River from Indian-Kentuck to Corn Creek. The sign-up list is currently full but potential participants may still sign-up for the waiting list and must be between 6-15 years of age. Fishing will take place from 8-11:30 a.m.
- Switzerland County High School's boys and girls basketball teams will be hosting the Fifth Annual Pacer Basketball Golf Scramble at The Vineyard Golf Course on Saturday, Aug. 9 at 8:30 a.m.
The cost is $200 per four person team with a $20 skins option. Prizes include $500 for first place and $300 for second place. Third and fourth place will each get $100 if more than 20 teams sign up. A meal will also be provided.
Team forms may be picked up at Switzerland County High School. You may also sign up the morning of the event. Donations of $100 are also being accepted for sponsorship.
For more information, call Wayne Ellegood at (812) 290-6189, Adam Dennis at (812) 599-6586 or Ashley Kitts at (812) 801-5826.
- The Farmers Bank of Milton will hold its 23rd Annual Benefit Golf Scramble on Saturday, Aug. 16 at Sunrise Golf Course. Registration will start at 9 am with tee-time at 10 a.m.
The cost is $60 per person and $240 per team. The entry fee will include; a cart, golf balls, golf towel, can coozy and lunch. Private carts are welcome. Mulligans and Skins will be available for $5.
Hole sponsors are available for $100 per hole and for additional information, contact Ray Black, Jr. at (812) 265-5811 or contact David Hertz at (800) 826-5766.
- The Lide White Memorial Boys & Girls Club is now taking applications for its Fall Ball Basketball League.
The league is open to boys and girls ages four through six grade. The cost is $40 for Club members, $50 for members. There is a $10 late fee after Sept. 5.
The season runs from Sept. 8 through Oct. 16.
Applications are available at the Club and area schools.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
Message is a required field.
Captcha entry is not valid, please try again.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
Search only accepts letters and numbers.
© 2016 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved