Year In Review
Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - June 11, 2014
Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:00 AM
- Madison senior-to-be Annelise Hackney participated in the ISA Diamonds Softball tournament in Morristown, Tenn., over the weekend.
Hackney hit .500 with a home run and four RBIs while playing third base as part of the Loose Cannons Travel Team out of Lexington, Ky.
- The par-threes at Sunrise Golf Course have yielded three holes-in-one over the past couple of weeks.
The first ace was scored by Tracy Kirk on May 24 on the 166-yard fourth hole using a No. 4 hybrid club.
Karl Eaglin scored an ace - his second career hole-in-one - on May 26 on the 172-yard 10th hole using a No. 5 rescue club with Larry Burns, Bill Brierly and Jim Lohrig witnessing.
Paul Boldery scored his first career hole-in-one on June 7 on the 151-yard 17th hole using a 7-iron.
- The Madison varsity and jayvee boys basketball teams participated in the Hanover Shootout on Saturday.
The varsity team went 3-1 on the day. The wins came against Decatur Central, Henry County (Ky.) and Cloverdale. The one loss came against Franklin Central.
The jayvee Cubs also went 3-1 on the day. They defeated Seymour, Scottsburg, and South Dearborn. The one loss came against Silver Creek.
The varsity and jayvee Cubs will play next weekend in the Salem Shootout.
- Hanover College's men's soccer program will host a training camp for college prospects on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the athletic complex.
The prospect camp is designed to expose athletes to a typical collegiate preseason training day. Open to high school students and 2014 graduates, the event offers a great opportunity to visit Hanover's campus, compete in an intense environment and interact with Hanover head coach Matt Wilkerson and current members of his squad. Campus tours will be available at the conclusion of the camp.
The cost for the camp is $80 per person. Groups of two or more athletes can attend for $65 per person. The fee covers morning and afternoon sessions, lunch and a training shirt.
Athletes are encouraged to bring a ball, two sets of soccer clothing, molded soccer shoes, indoor/running shoes, shin guards and a towel.
All athletes must have a medical form signed by a parent/guardian and turned in before the beginning of the camp. The form may be mailed or brought to the field. Information and a link to the medical form are available at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps.
For more information, contact Wilkerson at (859) 699-0038 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Southwestern Middle School soccer has begun summer practice and conditioning from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Southwestern High School Soccer field.
Practice is open to all incoming sixth, seventh and eighth graders interested in playing in the upcoming 2014 season. Practices will run throughout the summer on Mondays and Wednesdays at the same time.
For more information, call coach Van Green at (812) 599-1095.
In addition, pick-up soccer games are currently taking place from 2-4 p.m. on Sundays at the Southwestern High School Soccer Field. Anyone interested is invited to come and play. It is recommended that players be at least 17 years old.
- The 36th annual Madison Courier Firecracker 10K Walk/Run will be Saturday July 5 with both beginning at 8 a.m.
Registration is currently under way for the event at a cost of $10 for the non-competitive walk and $20 for the competitive run through June 28. The cost includes a commemorative T-shirt and an info packet. Custom-made awards will be presented to the top finishers in all 10K Run Divisions as well as to the top male and female finisher.
Check-in begins at 6:30 a.m. on race day at Madison Consolidated High School, 743 Clifty Drive, Madison, IN. The event concludes at Lytle Park in downtown Madison
Entry forms are available at www.madisoncourier.com.
- The Madison Parks Department is looking to add more teams for the 2014 Madison Men's Summer Softball league at John Paul Park.
Teams will hit their own softballs (core 44/400 or less) with four progressive home runs. All bats will be allowed except those banned by the NSA and Senior League bats.
Teams will play every team twice and finish the season with a double-elimination tournament.
For more information contact Scott Davidson at (812) 265-8308, (812) 493-9840 or (812) 292-4282.
- The Madison Booster Club will hold its annual banquet at 6 p.m. today at Harry's Stone Grill.
- The Jack "Daniel" Ison Jr. Live Your Dreams Scholarship Fund Golf Scramble will be Saturday at Spring Hills Golf Course in Hanover.
The cost for a $50 for an individual player, $50 for a scoreboard sponsorship, $100 for tee sponsorship and $200 for team sponsorship.
For more info, contact Jack or Beverly Ison at (812) 599-1415 or (812) 599-1112.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will hold open registration for the 2014 Fall League this Saturday and Saturday, June 28 at Rucker Sports Complex.
Registration runs 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more info, call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484.
- The Englishton Park Presbyterian Ministries in Lexington will hold its Eighth Annual 5K Run/Walk on Saturday.
The event begins and ends at Englishton Park and covers part of the Civil War trek made by Confederate General John Hunt Morgan.
Registration is $20 with T-shirts available for an additional $8.
Sign-in for the race begins at 7:15 a.m. with race starting at 8:15 a.m. Entry forms are available at www.englishtonpark.com.
For more info, call Kristi Rowell at (812) 592-1937.
- Carroll County boys basketball will hold its youth camp June 16-19 at the high school.
The camp is for boys entering grades one through eight and will run from 9 a.m. to noon daily. Registration is $40 or $45 for those who register the first day of camp. Each camper will receive a T-shirt and certificate.
Players will participate in teaching stations, lectures, competitions and games.
For more info, contact Carroll boys head basketball coach Carroll Yager at email@example.com or (502) 732-6195.
- Shawe Memorial High School has teamed with Long Toss Indiana, LLC, to host a baseball camp at Shawe's American Legion Post 9 Field June 18-19 from noon to 4 p.m. daily.
The focus of the camp will be on arm strength, arm care, velocity enhancement, speed and agility, and winning the mental game. Cost of camp is $89 and includes a camp T-shirt and video throwing analysis.
Contact Shawe Memorial Head Coach Matt Forner at firstname.lastname@example.org or Long Toss Indiana, LLC at email@example.com for a camp flyer or to register for the camp.
- The Shawe Memorial Basketball Camps will be held June 23-26 in the high school gym.
The camps are open to any boy or girl in grades kindergarten through fifth and costs $45 per camper. Kindergarten through second grade run 9-10 a.m. and grades three through five run 10:30 a.m.-noon.
Shawe Memorial head boys basketball coach Matt Traylor and head girls basketball coach Camille Deuser will conduct the camp along with current members of the boys and girls JV and varsity teams. The Fundamentals of shooting and dribbling, blocking out and rebounding, footwork and pivoting, defensive technique and positioning, passing and receiving, ball handling, flexibility and agility drills will be taught.
- The Jefferson County Soccer Association will host the British Soccer Camp during the week of June 23-27.
Those interested in signing up for the camp or seeking more info can visit the challengersports.com website or call Brian Sachleben at (502) 310-8484. Some forms will be available at local businesses.
- The Madison football program will hold a youth camp July 21-23.
The camp is for local youth in grades first through sixth and will run 6:30-8 p.m. daily. Each session is located at the Madison High School football practice field.
Cost of camp is $25 and includes a camp T-shirt. Registration forms are due by June 27, however, walk-up registrations will be taken the first day of camp.
For more info, contact Madison head coach Patric Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 701-2648.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting applications for its fall flag and tackle football leagues.
Junior flag football will be available for ages four and five while regular flag league is for boys in grades kindergarten through second and girls in grades kindergarten through third.
Tackle football is for grades two through four and five through six. However, only second graders whose birthday is on or before Aug. 1 will be accepted.
Cost to play is $50 with an extra $20 charge if the application is turned in late. Applications can be found at local schools or at the park's office at Brown Gym.
Applications can be taken to the gym or mailed to the Madison Parks Department, 101 West Main Street, Madison, IN 47250.
For more info, call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved