Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - May 17, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Friday, May 17, 2013 11:00 AM
- Switzerland County graduate Zach Osowski wrapped up his Franklin College baseball career in style with an impressive HCAC tournament recently. Osowski went 11-17 with three home runs and nine RBIs to earned Most Outstanding Player honors.
On the season, Zach led the Grizzley Cubs with a .379 batting average and in home runs with six. Osowski earned numerous post-season awards as well. He was named first-team all-conference, all-sportsmanship team, and earned academic all-conference for a third time. Zach is the son of Dan and Mary Beth Osowski, of Patriot, and graduated Franklin with a degree in Journalism.
The conference also honored six Hanover College players. Sophomore shortstop Ryan Johns was named first team All-HCAC while sophomore third baseman Matt Newman was named second team All-HCAC.
Receiving All-HCAC honorable mention were senior outfielder Kevin Sears and junior pitcher Mitch Hunnicutt. Sophomore utility player Nolan Hall was named to the HCAC Sportsmanship team.
- The Madison's American Legion Post 9 baseball team will hold an organizational meeting for all interested players and their parents on Sunday at Shawe/Post 9 Field.
The meeting will start at 2 p.m. and players are asked to attend with their parents.
- Madison Parks Department will hold Opening Day ceremonies for its youth leagues at 5:30 p.m. on Monday at the Rucker Sports Complex.
The public is welcome to attend. Boys Minor, Girls Minor and Girls Rookie leagues will open their seasons after the program.
- Shawe's David Grote was named the Ohio River Valley Conference baseball player of the week.
Grote received the honor after delivering a complete game win on the mound against Southwestern last week. The senior hurler threw seven innings, giving up a run on only two hits with nine strikeouts and three walks.
The Switzerland County boys and girls track and field teams were also recognized by the ORVC. Both Pacer teams were crowned ORVC champions this past week. Boys coach Mark Boggs and girls coach Adam Pietrykowski were named the ORVC track and field coaches of the year.
- The Madison girls cross country team will be holding a meeting for any girl interested in running high school cross country next season.
The meeting will be held at 5 p.m. on Monday, May 20 in the small auxiliary gym at Madison High School.
- Shawe's Jordan Chandler has been selected to play in the POSTYOURT Class All-Star baseball game this summer.
The game will take place on Saturday, June 8 and be played at Randolph Southern High School.
There will be more than 100 college coaches attending that day.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved