Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 22, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:00 AM
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. today to discuss the upcoming indoor soccer season.
The meeting is open to all prospective players and parents and will be held in the Madison Consolidated High School cafeteria.
- The Madison Basketball Club will hold third, fourth, fifth and sixth grade boys basketball team tryouts this month.
Third grade tryouts will be 6-7:30 p.m. today and Thursday at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Kevin Orrill at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Fifth grade tryouts will be from 9-10:30 a.m. on Saturday and 12-1:30 p.m. on Sunday at E.O. Munice School. For more information call Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Sixth grade tryouts will be from 11-12:30 p.m. on Saturday and 2-3:00 p.m. on Sunday at E.O. Muncie School. For more information call Michael Roark at 812-599-3772.
Cost to tryout for either team is $60 per player and must be paid before player can try out. Money will be refunded if the player is not chosen for the team.
- Southwestern's Skyla Judkins was named the Ohio River Valley Conference's volleyball player of the week.
Judkins, recorded 53 digs, 49 kills, three aces and a block this past week. She also had a serving percentage of 98 percent, passing percentage of 92 percent and a hitting percentage of 83 percent.
- Hanover College's Matthew Eldridge and Alexis Taylor have been named Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference players of the week for the week of Oct. 14.
Eldridge, a freshman from Louisville, was named the HCAC men's soccer player of the week. He scored two game-winning goals last seek and helped the Panthers take control of first place in the HCAC standings.
Taylor, a sophomore from Frankfort, was selected as the HCAC women's tennis player of the week. The Panther netter scored two singles wins and two doubles victories last week against Transylvania and Manchester, helping Hanover to a share of the HCAC conference title.
- Southwestern junior varsity volleyball lost to Jeffersonville 25-14, 25-10 at home on Wednesday.
Jordyn McNally was 30-for-31 setting with six assits and Zaynah Watson had three aces, three kills, and two blocks. Amber Morrison added four kills.
- Madison junior varisty volleyball closed out its season on Tuesday, losing to Lawrenceburg 25-24 and 25-20.
The Cubs finished the season 13-7.
- Shawe junior varsity volleyball fell to Oldenburg Academy 25-24, 25-18 on Tuesday.
Katelyn Moore was 15-of-15 attacking with three kills and Carson Hambrick was 19-of-20 setting and 20-of-24 passing with one dig.
The Hilltoppers defeated Rock Creek on Monday 25-19, 15-25 and 15-12.
Bailey Wolf recorded three kills on 7-of-8 attacking and McKay Burdette was 23-of-27 setting and 11-of-13 serving with one ace. Carson Hambrick and EmaLee Copeland had two aces each.
On Thursday, Shawe lost to Carroll County 21-8, 21-13.
EmaLee Copeland was 7-for-7 serving and 18-for-21 passing for Shawe, Moore was 4-for-5 hitting with a kill and 10-of-12 passing with a dig, Megan Hill was 10-for-11 setting, and Pawlak had two aces.
Shawe ends the season.
- The Hoosier Hills Otters Swim Team will hold registration and swimmer assessment on Saturday at Monday at the Madison Junior High School Pool.
Registration will be from 9-10:30 a.m. on Saturday and 6-7 p.m. on Monday. Every swimmer must be able to swim 25 yards in both freestyle and backstroke.
For more information, see the group's website at www.teamunify.com/inhho.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting Little League Basketball forms for the upcoming 2013-2014 season.
Boys and girls in grades four through six can participate. Forms are due Nov. 1 and the cost is $50 per player. Forms are available at the Madison Parks Department Office and at all area schools or can be printed off at www.madisonparks.com.
For more information call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved