Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - October 4, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Friday, October 04, 2013 11:00 AM
- Switzerland County middle school football earned the program's first ever win on Thursday, defeating Gallatin County 14-6 at home.
Mikey Gatto connected with Kyle Whitham on a 55-yard pass in the first quarter to open the scoring for the Pacers and Austin South ran for a two-point conversion.
Leading 8-6 in the third quarter, Gatto scrambled for a 45-yard run for a score, giving Switzerland County the eventual 14-6 win.
The Pacers held on thanks to a timely interception in the red zone by Austin South. Gallatin County was driving deep into Pacer territory near the end of the game when the Swiss sealed the victory on a sack by the defensive line as time expired.
"The boys fought hard and were able to overcome their mistakes to bring home a historic win," said Pacers head coach Ryan Jesop. "This was an experience I know they will never forget."
- Shawe junior varsity volleyball lost to Scottsburg at home on Thursday 25-7 and 25-16.
EmaLee Copeland was 16-for-18 passing with one dig. Carson Hambrick was 23-of-27 setting and 5-for-7 attacking with one kill. Bailey Wolf added four digs.
- Southwestern junior varsity volleyball defeated South Ripley 24-25, 25-22, 15-3 on Thursday night.
Zaynah Watson was 13-for-14 serving with six kills, four aces and four blocks. Amber Morrison was 12-for-14 serving with six kills, four aces and three blocks while Stephanie Eaglin had three kills. Jordyn McNally added 18 assists on 73-for-74 setting.
Southwestern is now 8-10 and 4-1 in the Ohio River Valley Conference.
- Trimble County junior varsity volleyball lost to Walton-Verona on Wednesday 21-8, 9-21, 21-15.
Bonnie Wilson served 15 consecutive serves and was 22-of-22 serving with seven aces, a kill and a block. Destiny Schroeder had 10 kills and 10 blocks.
- Trimble County freshman volleyball defeated Walton-Verona on Wednesday 21-9, 21-17.
Maranda Ward was 11-of-12 serving with three aces and seven digs. Shelbee Black and Kaylee Clifford combined for four aces and 10 kills with Black adding 13 digs.
- The Madison eighth grade football team closed out the season with a loss to Milan.
Madison finished the season with a 5-3 record.
- Shawe junior high boys cross country ran in its final meet of the season on Thursday against Switzerland County and Madison in Vevay.
Ethan Goebel finished first overall with a season-best time of 10:58. Zane Love and Ryan Storm were 11th and 12th, respectively, while Emory Fisher ran his best race of the season.
- The Madison Booster Club will meet at 6 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 7 in the Madison Consolidated High School conference room.
The meeting is open to the public.
- The Jefferson County Futbol Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 22 to discuss the upcoming indoor soccer season.
The meeting is open to all prospective players and parents and will be held in the Madison Consolidated High School cafeteria.
- The Madison Parks Department is accepting Little League Basketball forms for the upcoming 2013-2014 season.
Boys and girls in grades four through six can participate. Forms are due Nov. 1 and the cost is $50 per player. Forms are available at the Madison Parks Department Office and at all area schools or can be printed off at www.madisonparks.com.
For more information call (812) 265-8308 or (812) 493-9840.
- The Madison Basketball Club will hold third, fourth and fifth grade boys basketball team tryouts this month.
Third grade tryouts will be 6-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 24 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Kevin Orrill at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Fourth grade tryouts will be 6-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 and 23 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Josh Scroggins at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Cost to tryout for either team is $60 per player and must be paid before player can try out. Money will be refunded if the player is not chosen for the team.
- The Southwestern High School pool is currently holding open swim on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays weekly from 7-9 p.m.
The cost is $1. Students must be 14 and over to attend open swim without an adult. All children under 14 must have an adult stay in the pool area the entire time the child is in the pool.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved