Madison Courier 10K Walk/Run
Letters To The Editor
News & Record
Carroll County Detention Center
Jefferson Circuit Court
Jefferson Superior Court
Real Estate Transfers
Health Department Inspections
Civil War Sesquicentennial
Health Mind & Body
Courierarea Sports Shorts - September 24, 2013
Courier Sports Staff
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:00 AM
- Trimble County freshman volleyball defeated Gallatin County 21-9 and 21-10 on Monday.
Keena Hancock was 10-of-12 serving and 11-of-15 setting with four aces. Bonnie Wilson was 6-of-7 serving with two aces and four digs. Katie Gonterman and Destiny Schroeder each had three kills.
- Trimble County junior varsity volleyball defeated Gallatin County 21-13 and 21-12 on Monday.
Kate Staples was 9-of-11 serving and 14-of-14 setting with three aces. Shelbe Black and Kaylee Clifford combined for 14 kills. Black added seven digs.
- Madison junior varsity football defeated Jennings County 26-6 on Saturday.
Reece Dryden and Gabe Stoll each returned a punt for a touchdown. Stoll also scored on a two-point conversion while Corbin Hughes and Mikiah Kring each ran the ball in for a score. Logan Cassidy and Spencer Perkins collected big catches throughout the game.
On defense, Dryden had an interception and a fumble recovery. Kring recorded two sacks.
Madison (3-2) visits New Albany on Saturday.
- Switzerland County freshman football fell 38-6 to Carroll County's junior varsity.
Kollin Hayes scored the Pacers' lone touchdown on a long run and had several hard hits defensively. Switzerland County held Carroll to just 12 points in the second half.
Switzerland County plays its final home game Monday against South Decatur.
- Hanover College will host The Scenic: A 5K With a View on Saturday, Oct. 19.
Runners and walkers are welcome with awards given to the top runners in each age category.
Registration costs $15 before Oct. 16 and $20 on race day. Race day registration will take place from 7:30 a.m. until the time of the race. All proceeds will benefit the Hanover College Wellness Program.
To download a registration form, visit http://www.hanover.edu/about/events/scenic. For more info, contact Bill Tereshko at (812) 866-6750 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hanover College senior Kylie Justus was named the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference's volleyball defensive player of the week.
Justus, totaled 138 digs and five aces in five games last week. She recorded 32 digs in a loss to Franklin and 33 digs in a win over Muskingum.
- Shawe junior high soccer lost 2-0 to South Ripley on Monday in Versailles.
South Ripley scored a goal in each half. Shawe's Skyler Short and Jack Lisle played solid in the middle.
The Hilltoppers also played Friday, defeating Rock Creek Christian 8-1 at home.
Carson Denton and Nick Weatherbee each had two goals for Shawe. Sergio Garcia, Skyler Short, Jarod Bladen and Jack Lisle had a goal each.
Shawe visits Madison today.
- Southwestern volleyball hosts Madison today for the Rebels Fifth Annual Dig Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Match.
"We are asking all Southwestern and Madison fans to wear pink in support of breast cancer research," coach Chris Johnson said. "Shirts will be available for sale at the game."
- Madison Cubs baseball will hold its annual golf scramble at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Sunrise Golf Course
The entry fee is $50 per player. If interested call Joe Jenner at (812) 265-5132.
- The Madison Basketball Club will hold third, fourth and fifth grade boys basketball team tryouts next month.
Third grade tryouts will be 5-6:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 24 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Kevin Orrill at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Fourth grade tryouts will be 6:30-8 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 24 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call coach Josh Scoggins at (812) 599-0460 or Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Fifth grade tryouts will be 5-6:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 and 23 at Anderson Elementary. For more info, call Michael Roark at (812) 599-3772.
Cost to tryout for either team is $60 per player and must be paid before player can try out. Money will be refunded if the player is not chosen for the team.
- The Southwestern High School pool is currently holding open swim on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays weekly from 7-9 p.m.
Cost is $1. Students must be 14 and over to attend open swim without an adult. All children under 14 must have an adult stay in the pool area the entire time the child is in the pool.
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
© 2015 The Madison Courier 310 Courier Square, Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-3641 (800) 333-2885
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Software © 1998-2015 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved