A Sunday morning fire that started when a light fixture shorted in the kitchen of a Madison home caused minor damage to the residence after quick response by the homeowner and firefighters.

Madison Township fire chief Robert Black said the fire, reported at the home of home of Jim and Teresa Roeder, 1375 East Wehner Drive just off of Telegraph Hill Road at 8:04 a.m., resulted in minimal damage after the home owner turned off the electrical breaker after noticing lights flickering in the house.

“That eliminated the heat source,” said Black.

Black said the fire damaged one of the rafters in attic along with insulation but was out and the scene cleared in about an hour, causing minimal damage. He said there was smoke a odor that will need to be cleaned but not structural damage or injuries.

In addition to Madison Township Fire Department, Rykers’ Ridge Fire Department also responded s well as King’s Daughters’ Hospital EMS.

The fire was Madison Township’s 211th call of the year, a significant increase over 2020 when there were 155 calls for the entire year.