A blaze that firefighters think originated at an unattended wood stove in a garage led to a structure fire Saturday afternoon on Madison Avenue in Hanover.

The occupants had already evacuated the structure, located in the 100 block of Madison Avenue, by the time firefighters arrived on scene at approximately 2:03 p.m.

An investigation into the fire determined that fire coming from a wood stove initially went unnoticed, allowing the blaze to fully develop and spread. As the blaze grew in intensity, the fire nearly consumed the entire garage and was beginning to threaten surrounding structures.

“This is the hottest stage of any fire, thus making it the hardest stage of a fire to control,” said Cory Thomas, public information liaison for the Hanover Township Fire Department.

Hanover Township responded initially but Chief Ron Kroger called on Kent Fire Department, Madison Township Fire Department and North Madison Fire Company 5 for mutual aide to gain control of the blaze before it could spread further.

Firefighters kept the fire from extending through the rest of the home or to nearby structures. Firefighters were able to save a significant portion of the structure with only radiant heat damage to a nearby home.

There were no injuries and Hanover Police and King’s Daughter EMS assisted firefighters at the scene.