Madison firefighters responded to an apartment fire in the 1100 block of West Main Street Sunday afternoon after receiving a report that a window air conditioner had caught fire on the second floor of the structure.

The blaze was reported at approximately 1:15 p.m. at a brick, two story building on the southwest corner of West Main and McIntire streets that is home to three apartments. The first firefighters who arrived at the scene confirmed that all occupants had evacuated the building and that there was a working structure fire on the second floor.

“The fire was brought under control in less than 20 minutes. All occupants were able to exit the structure safely,” said Madison Fire Chief Bill DeVries. “The residents were assisted by the American Red Cross finding temporary lodging. There was a slight traffic detour in the area to allow for responder safety.”

DeVries said damage was contained to one of the three apartments but that all three families were displaced because electrical service was “secured” to the entire building.

In addition to the Madison Fire Department, other agencies responding to the call included the Madison Police Department, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, King’s Daughters’ Health EMS and Duke Energy.

DeVries took the opportunity to educate and inform residents on fire safety, noting “working smoke detectors save lives” and residents should “close the door behind you when evacuating the residence.”