Madison boys basketball’s season debut will now be no earlier than Friday, Dec. 11 after two more postponements related to COVID-19 were announced in recent days.
The Cubs’ annual season-opener on Thanksgiving Eve against Southwestern had already been postponed to Jan. 22, but on Wednesday, Madison athletic director Joe Bronkella announced that the Dec. 4 home contest against Jennings County and the Dec. 5 game against Corydon Central have also been moved, the former due to COVID issues at Madison and the later because of problems at Corydon.
The Jennings County game will now be played on Feb. 9 while no date has been announced for the Corydon game. As a result of these changes, Madison will now open the season on Friday, Dec. 11 at South Dearborn.
• Madison’s girls basketball program has added a game at Indian Creek for this afternoon while the home contest with Floyd Central on Tuesday has been moved to Saturday, Dec. 5. An away contest at Jeffersonville, scheduled for Friday, Dec. 4, has been moved up a day to Thursday, Dec. 3.
• Another bout of COVID-related quarantines has made its way through the Shawe girls program, forcing postponement of its game home game with Borden this past Monday and a home date with Jac-Cen-Del this upcoming Monday. Shawe’s game against Medora on Wednesday has been canceled outright after Medora called off its season due to low numbers. A Dec. 21 home game with Crothersville has been canceled.
• Shawe basketball is now scheduled to play a tripleheader at Southwestern on Friday, Dec. 4, starting with the boys junior varsity game at 5 p.m. Shawe’s girls will be able to play and a varsity game with Southwestern will follow with the boys varsity contest wrapping up the night.
• Southwestern’s wrestling team was forced to drop out of the Fugate Invitational at Scottsburg on Saturday, Dec. 5. In response, the school has scheduled a quad meet that day with Switzerland County, Connersville and Salem starting at 10 a.m.
• Switzerland County has added a girls basketball game at Knightstown for this Saturday afternoon at 12:30 p.m.