Southwestern’s Colton Cloud (4) shoots between Trimble County defenders Hunter Kelly (20) and Ethan Horn (5) during the Rebels’ win Saturday in Bedford, Kentucky.

Southwestern started Saturday’s game from behind thanks to a pre-game technical foul, gave up six points on free throws over the first 34 seconds, and trailed by one at the end of the first quarter.

But the Rebels reversed all that in the second quarter with a 12-0 opening burst and never looked back, rolling to a 78-66 win over Trimble County in boys basketball Saturday in Bedford.

Southwestern led by 26 points at one point in the third quarter and still had a 21-point advantage with just five minutes to play before Rebel coach Zac Nussbaum called off the dogs and Trimble closed the game on a 17-8 run for the final margin.

Despite Trimble’s late run, Nussbaum was happy with the way his team responded after the rough start.

“We have got to find a way to have a little bit quicker starts. I’m tired of having to make adjustments and get things going,” Nussbaum said. “But I was proud of our kids for how they responded to the initial surge that Trimble County came out with. Obviously, we had to adjust a little bit to how the game was called. Not saying that it was bad, I’m just saying how it was called. As players you always discuss that you have to adjust to it and I like how our boys did a good job of that.”

Southwestern (7-4) was assessed a technical foul for hanging on the rim during pre-game warmups and Dalton Penick staked Trimble to a 2-0 lead without a second coming off the clock. Tate Ogburn and James Thomas Wilcoxson each then drew fouls and both hit two free throws as the Raiders led 6-0 34 seconds into the game.

The early free throws were part of a trend. A total of 17 free throws were shot in the first quarter alone and Trimble attempted 20 by halftime. But those attempts couldn’t hold back Southwestern for long.

After Jamison Lewis scored two points for Southwestern — at the free-throw line of course — Trimble pushed its early lead to 8-2 on a basket by Hunter Kelly. The Rebels responded with a 12-4 run to take a 14-12 lead, but a free throw by Penick and a basket by Ethan Horn gave Trimble a 15-14 lead at the quarter break.

But theSouthwestern run was a harbinger of what was to come. Ramping up its defensive pressure, and methodically picking apart Trimble on offense, the Rebels opened the second quarter with a 12-0 run that eventually ballooned to a 23-10 stretch that saw Southwestern go ahead 37-25 at halftime and never look back.

“It’s a game of spurts and we decided to have some some mental lapses there,” Trimble coach Marcus Mumphrey said. “They’re pretty disciplined and they have what we lack and that’s some discipline on when we bring the ball up the floor under pressure. That’s when you have to be the most disciplined and with us, we’re still learning.”

Southwestern put the game away in the third with a 16-2 run to open the quarter to give the Rebels their largest lead of the night at 53-27. They still led 63-43 after the quarter and 70-49 with five minutes to play before Trimble closed the game on a rush to make the final score close.

Both teams had five players reach double figures in scoring. Mitch Mingione led Southwestern with 18 points while Zach Cole and Peyton Gwin scored 14 each, Parker Davis had 11 and Colton Cloud scored 10.

Ogburn had 18 points and 14 rebounds to lead Trimble while Wilcoxson scored 14 points, Kelly had 13, Horn 11 and Penick 10.

Both teams return to action with multiple games this week. Trimble County hosted Henry County on Monday and heads to Owen County on Thursday. Southwestern hosts New Albany today and travels to Switzerland County on Friday.